Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Unexpected Diagnosis


 

I have never shied away from getting my kids professional help. I have never denied treatments that mental health professionals have felt would help the children. I have never been abashed from seeking a diagnosis that would help determine the level of assistance my children would receive. I have accepted that they struggle with developmental delays and behavioral issues. I never cried when a mental health professional explained to me their thoughts on what is going on with my children. But, this morning I did. This morning I wanted to deny the idea of a diagnosis, to disclaim its validity, I wanted to prove it was untrue. I wanted to make it untrue.

 

This morning I had an IEP meeting with the early intervention therapist and the daycare staff. We were talking about Love Bug and the struggles he has been having. I knew he struggled with social interactions and I sensed he was simply overwhelmed when in his daycare classroom. I knew he was unhappy going to daycare, it seemed to give him anxiety to be there. I knew he preferred to stay home with me and I chalked it up to him being a momma’s boy. I thought he didn’t like having the expectations of daycare; cleaning up, playing nice with others and sharing, sitting at story time, doing crafts. I knew he had a developmental delay. I thought his diagnosis would be the same as his sister – ADHD. He certainly exhibited some of the same behaviors as his sister. But, the early intervention therapist didn’t mention attention deficit issues. She said, based on her observation of him in the daycare classroom, she believes he is high-functioning autistic.

 

There will be several professionals sent to observe Love Bug in daycare. A school psychologist, an occupational therapist, and a speech and language therapist will all be sent to see and judge what is going on with Love Bug. The therapist this morning indicated that his expressive language is excellent, but his receptive language is lagging behind. This means, he can say and explain many things, but he cannot hear and comprehend at the same level. She stated his outbursts and difficulties getting along in the classroom have been a cry for help because he feels overwhelmed and is overstimulated just by being in the classroom with his peers. She gave the daycare staff a three-step process to help when he is about to melt down. She suggested they remove all the children from his vicinity and any toys or other objects he could use to hurt himself other others. He should remain in the same spot he is in, but there should be no communication with him and then they should wait. If he is given time, he might be able to come out of the anxiety-driven tantrum on his own and be able to resume the activity or playing with his friends. Then, at a later time, he can be removed to process what happened.

 

Obviously, this is not a solid diagnosis at this point. Love Bug was also evaluated last week at the same agency where Chica Marie’s mobile therapist works. The doctor’s evaluation has not been completed. I did share the observation from the intervention therapist with the mobile therapist, in case it would change anything for the help of the TSS worker.  I don’t think Love Bug is on the autism spectrum, but I am not a mental health professional. I don’t want to send him to school with a diagnosis that can be used, as it was for his sister, to push him into a special classroom where he cannot learn. Love Bug is smart and I think, with assistance, he could be able to stay in a regular classroom and thrive. I don’t want a label to prevent him from having that opportunity. I am going to wait for the word from the professionals before I start worrying more about it. The declaration this morning was just not something I was expecting to hear. At the end of the day, he is still my Love Bug and we will work to get him the help he needs to be successful in school and in life.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest that, in all your free time (ha ha), you check out the blog Amalah? I have been reading her blog for over 10 years. Her son was diagnosed with autism and she wrote about it without reservation. It might be something you can relate to, and perhaps get encouragement from. I will point you to this post from the archives to get started: https://www.amalah.com/amalah/2007/07/the-fly-in-the-.html. That was in July 2007. He is now an amazing middle schooler and this is just part of who he is. Amalah is honest, funny and relatable. Love Bug will have some struggles but he will be fine. No, he’ll be more than fine. He’ll be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand how you feel about this possible diagnosis. My son was diagnosed with ASD at the age of 3 and I had a lot of fear over him being labelled and not being able to go the traditional route in school. But two years later, after two years of intervention and therapy, he is doing amazing. He started kindergarten in the special needs class, but they soon realized that he would be better off in the main kindergarten classroom. He's been moved into the mainstream room and is thriving. I also quickly got over my reservations about him being labelled autistic because it actually opened up a LOT of help and support for him. I have to say at this point that getting the diagnosis was a blessing, because I don't think he'd be doing this well if he hadn't received early intervention.

    ReplyDelete