Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Irrational Fear


I have an irrational fear about my family contracting the stomach flu. It makes my heart pound just thinking of dealing with the smells, the sounds, the ick. We have a good track record of never having gotten the stomach flu, but this has me convinced it is eminent. Last Monday, while dropping Love Bug off at daycare, I witnessed a child vomiting everywhere. I cringed, hoping Love Bug could avoid the germs. When I got to work I learned a co-worker was out sick with the stomach flu and the other co-worker informed me he was still getting over it himself, having been sick all weekend. Lysol. Bleach. Containment bubble. Someone save me! As the co-workers spent the next three days regaling me with their tales of gastrointestinal woes, my stomach started to hurt. I sat staring at my computer, the sense of impending doom filling me with dread. But, I assessed my body, telling myself it was mind over matter. My brain was telling me my stomach hurt because my fear was getting to me. Once I told myself my stomach did not hurt, it stopped aching. Thus far (knock on wood) we seemed to have escaped the dreaded stomach bug, but I know our time will come. And nothing will save us!

No comments:

Post a Comment