Saturday, March 2, 2019

Unequal


 

Grandma invited me and the kids to watch a cheer championship where Mini Momma’s team will be competing. It is in our town, so that makes it very convenient. I said we would like to go but cautioned that Love Bug would likely not sit through the whole three-hour event. Grandma responded by offering for me to just drop Chica Marie off with them. On the surface it sounds like she is trying to make a compromise but I honestly think it’s more than that. In the past, Love Bug has been over-looked by Grandma in favor of Chica Marie. I understand it must be harder with Love Bug because he has only every lived with me and so he feels like he is more mine and less theirs. I get that. But, kids are not dumb and they know when one is getting special treatment over the other. Back when Grandma thought she was going to get Chica Marie, she brought a special track suit to court for her. Nothing for Love Bug. Chica Marie was given change from Grandma and Love Bug didn’t get a cent. Maybe it’s because my parents and my grandparents were always big on making things as fair as they could, but it ruffles my feathers how easy it seems to drop Love Bug in favor of Chica Marie. I know Grandma has more of a connection with Chica Marie and maybe even identifies more with her, but Love Bug also wants to be recognized as part of the family and I know, if this continues, it will hurt him if there isn’t more equality. So, I decided we would all go together and we will stay as long as Love Bug is willing and when he has had enough and is feeling overwhelmed and tantrum-y then we will go. Is it unfair of me to take Chica Marie away from the event? Maybe. But, at least her and her brother have the same experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment