Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Don't Worry, Be Happy


I wrote about Chica Marie’s first softball practice. Other than getting caught in the rain and looking like a drowned rat, the practice was fine. Love Bug wanted to run around the gym, following the thick black or white lines. But, he stopped when I told him to because he was interrupting the practice (there were three stations and various teams practicing at once). He made a friend. This is one of the reasons I get so perplexed by his coming diagnosis (nothing is official yet – still!). He makes friends easily! He just wandered over to a different section of bleachers and started chatting with a little boy his age. He also talked to the boy’s mother and they watched shows together on the mother’s phone. The little boy is also playing t-ball because we saw him again the next day at Love Bug’s practice. Which is the purpose of this post.

 

I didn’t realize how nervous I was until I marched Love Bug over to the group of little boys and girls. I told him he needed to listen to his coach but I was not leaving and he could come get me if he needed me. Love Bug was reluctant to stay with the group but he didn’t follow me and soon the group was divided and he was helped into a blue pinafore. Love Bug’s team was running races. Love Bug was enthralled with his coach, giving a high-five after his race and one for all of his little teammates. The coach was one of those people you can tell genuinely likes kids. He seemed to be having a blast with the little boys gathered around him and Love Bug warmed up to him quickly. Sadly, this was not the coach for his team, but an assistant coach for another team.

 

Love Bug transitioned easily from his relay task to the next, where they tossed tennis balls into bags representing bases. Love Bug had quite an arm, easily throwing farther than the distance of the base. There was only one brief moment when he came running to me, for a drink of water, and another brief moment where he was lying on the floor spinning in a circle. Mostly, he was enjoying himself! And, when I realized he was not only doing ok, he was having fun, well I was so very happy! I was honestly worried, especially after talking to the early interventionist. She had me thinking this would all be too much for Love Bug, that it would an epic failure from the start (I must say epic too much because Love Bug has started calling things epic….). Love Bug might hit a point where he will struggle, but so will all of his teammates. But, he can do this! He can participate and have fun and he can make friends and, well, I knew this didn’t I? I knew he could, I knew he deserved a chance. Love Bug might be on the autism spectrum but that doesn’t and never should define him. He is an amazing little boy and he is going to have a terrific time playing t-ball. Who cares if he talks more to the adults than his peers? Who cares if he walks off the field to find me for one reason or another? I am going to be team mom, so I will always be there and I can help him if need be, but I think he is going to have more fun without me.

 

I’m anxious for the kids to start practicing outside, once the field thaws and the sunlight lasts longer. It might be more distracting for Love Bug, but I think it will also help him to be more independent from me. I am so happy Love Bug had such a great first practice. And I am glad to not have to worry so much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment