Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Planning Meeting


And this is what is wrong with our health care system. I called the doctor’s office this morning because the case worker had to take her to last week’s annual visit since it could not be rescheduled in a timely manner and she confused me in regards to a follow up appointment. I asked what they were following up on and she said the testing they had done in the office, which was urine testing and a finger stick for lead and iron levels. In my experience these results are immediate and unless there was an abnormality no follow up would be needed. So, I could not fathom why this follow up appointment might be needed. I figured the doctor’s office would know this information and so I called. The note from the case worker indicated I would be contacted for a follow up appointment in October, six months from now. But, wait a minute! When I called last month to change last week’s appointment I was told they book 6 months out. This morning I was told the schedule isn’t open for October. This month is April, right? What month is 6 months from now? Any wonder why I hate this doctor’s office? So, the rude scheduler mocked the case worker for not knowing what the follow up appointment was regarding and then said there were no notes in the file regarding why a follow up appointment was needed. I asked her if the nurse might know. I was put on hold twice but I was finally given an answer by the nurse. The doctor wanted a follow up appointment because there was a lot going on in this case. Um, what? And, this doctor who met this child for the first time last week, is going to what exactly about all the mentioned issues? Chica Marie has a mobile therapist, a CHOR case worker, a county case worker, a soon-to-be TSS worker, and a foster mother. What could the doctor possibly add to the group, since none of the pressing issues are of a medical nature (the urine testing came back negative, so the bed-wetting isn’t a medical issue and her lead levels are within a normal range now, so it’s no longer an issue). I’m not going to make a stupid follow up appointment and waste my time. Why on earth should I? To me, this is just a waste of the public’s money, since she is covered by public insurance. What sheer stupidity!

 

The planning meeting last night was long and, as I suspected, not terribly informative for me. The only surprise was the request of the little ones mom to join via telephone but she didn’t answer when the case worker tried to call her. The case worker was at our house until almost 8 pm. I had sent the kiddos to Primero’s room because of the potential for issues with the mom being on the phone. At the end of the meeting Primero brought Love Bug upstairs because he had a poopy diaper. Primero then announced to me that Esperanza wanted to come over to see the kids. I contemplated this while changing Love Bug and felt the sheer exhaustion of the day and the planning meeting wash over me. I didn’t feel like dealing with a visit after all of that. I said to Primero it wasn’t a good time and besides, Esperanza couldn’t expect to see the children and act like I didn’t exist. It simply doesn’t work like that. He was irritated and went outside because apparently they had already arrived. As I was walking the case worker to the door, Primero came back inside and said that Esperanza wanted to say Hi and give me a hug. So, we all trouped outside to meet with Esperanza and her friend on the front porch. The awkward exchange was brief and soon I was ushering the children back inside to get them ready for bed. Esperanza later text me asking for a time to get together to talk and we settled on a Friday evening as yet to be determined. I don’t know what to expect from this meeting and the unknown makes me nervous. I did indicate I would not want Primero to be there because he has spent enough time as the go-between. I made no mention of this to Primero, although I am sure he is aware.

 

My least favorite day of the year is looming on the horizon. My sister told me she won’t be home for Mother’s Day this year because her bridal shower is the weekend after and she didn’t want to come home two weekends in a row, which I understand. I asked Primero about getting something for his girlfriend for Mother’s Day (which is just a few days after her daughter turns 1) and his mom. He said getting something for his girlfriend would be weird but he wants to get something for his mom. This will be on our agenda this weekend. I hate Mother’s Day and I’m not looking forward to it. I would like to just sleep through it so I can pretend the day never happened. I want to not be so negative about it, but thus far I have found myself incapable. Still, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment