Monday, January 16, 2017

Blast from the Past


As an adult, have you ever met back up with someone you knew when you were a child? Through the magic of Facebook I have reconnected with people I knew when I was in grade school. As an aside, I was homeschooled from 8th grade until graduation, so I didn’t really keep in touch with anyone from school or have the traditional high school memories made with them. Anyway, I had asked on Facebook if I knew anyone who was handy with semi-minor household maintenance issues and also willing to patiently teach me how to be more handy whilst fixing the problems. One friend joked that was how her mother met her father. My sister responded her husband would have time in 2018 (they just bought a house and he is doing a lot of work there). Then a friend I knew from grade school responded he would be willing to help me. So, we messaged back and forth about the things I needed help with and in doing so we discovered we were practically neighbors! He came over to check out the two things that were most pressing (the toilet leaking and the kitchen sink leaking) and said the projects weren’t as dire as I believed. He has been working on remodeling his house and talked with me about some of the things he has managed to do. I didn’t know it at the time, but when we were friends in grade school he had been helping his parents remodel and build their house, which is how he learned all his handiness. Not only was it great to catch up with someone I had known so long ago, it was also interesting to see how nearly parallel our lives had been. He is married for the second time and shared with me how he believes he might suffer from male factor infertility. He had tried to start a family with his ex-wife for three years with no luck. A few months after they broke up, she was pregnant with her new beau. He also mentioned his girlfriend in high school and early adulthood had been on the pill but had a medication she took for migraines that made her birth control less effective and only found out after they broke up and she wound up pregnant by her new boyfriend. For these reasons, he felt he “had a problem” but has never gotten tested, although he told his wife he would if need be when they started trying to conceive. It’s crazy to think, the boy who played saxophone behind me in the clarinet section of the 6th grade band, might also be with me as the 1 in 10 battling infertility. I hope his antidotal evidence is proven wrong, but in the meantime we shall be fixing up the house a la HGTV style!  

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. That's so nice you managed to reconnect and he is helping you with the house! I'm impressed he was so open about possible male factor infertility since so many men don't seem to consider that the problem might be on their side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was a little shocked at how seemingly nonchalant he was about it. Maybe knowing my story helped him be more open than he might ordinarily have been?

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely story of reconnection, and friends helping friends. And yes, I expect that knowing your story made him feel free to open up.

    ReplyDelete