Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Ringing in the New Year


So, we survived the New Year’s. Primero went to his uncle’s place. I had been waffling about going or not going. We had a really nice time on Christmas Eve after a disastrous Thanksgiving, so I was feeling better about going, but I’ve had this sinus cold I cannot shake and so felt it was better for me to stay home with my germs and the little ones. Primero came back home around 11 pm. I didn’t tell him he had to, but I guess he felt he needed to be home for midnight. Love Bug fell asleep around 10:30. I had also fallen asleep and was woken up by him crying because he wasn’t in his bed. I tucked him in and finished watching Finding Nemo with Chica Marie. We drank sparkling cider, as is our tradition. Primero came home but, as was his latest hobby, he was on the phone with a friend and not really paying much attention to ushering in the New Year. Well, except Mariah Carey’s horrendous performance – Woah! Chica Marie and I watched the fireworks at the Pagoda from her bedroom window. She brushed her teeth and I tucked her in. I stayed up a little longer with Primero and Love Bug woke up in time to ring in the New Year with New Orleans (we still had the TV on with Ryan Seacrest). Primero had mentioned going back over to his uncle’s place but he didn’t push for it. His uncle mentioned on a live Facebook post sometime around 5-6 am that it was a new day so Primero should ask to come back over, but he didn’t. Maybe it’s age, but I’d rather call it pragmatism. I see no need to stay up all night long only to sleep the entire day away. I don’t sleep well enough to begin with and I really can’t sleep during the day, so I’d rather call it a night right after midnight than stay up. We spent New Year’s day in the house doing pretty much nothing. Primero didn’t want to take the tree down yet, so that remains on our to do list. I’m glad the holidays are over!

1 comment: