Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Bad Things Come in Threes


Today is the kind of bad day that just makes me ache and hurt all over. I should have seen the omen last night, although I don’t know what good it would have done me. They say bad things come in three’s; my day said, “hold my beer” and set out to prove that wrong, drastically wrong.

 

Last night I was making a new-to-us casserole. I found it on another blog and wanted to give it a try, mostly because it means dinner will be ready when I get home (Primero is tasked with baking it) and we can get out earlier for trick-or-treating. The casserole required crackers to be crumbled and spread on top. While doing this I accidentally dumped some crumbs on the floor, so before proceeding with the recipe, I swept them up. The last flourish for the casserole was to sprinkle poppy seeds on top of the casserole. I grabbed the poppy seed container from the cabinet and, I don’t know how it happened, but ended up knocking the lid off while also knocking the entire container on the floor. For whatever reason, seeing the floor darkened with tiny poppy seeds gave me the giggles and so I grabbed the brooms and swept them up. Alas, I would soon be cured of the giggles.

 

Yesterday was a very boring day for me. It was our job fair at work and I was tasked with manning our table and very few people stopped by to chat about our services. So, I sat and did nothing for the majority of the afternoon. The one thing that bolstered my humdrum feelings was knowing that night was my favorite episode of Dancing with the Stars. It was the Halloween team dances and they are always so much fun! I know, it’s a dumb thing to be excited about, but honestly my day was simply that boring. Plus, as an added bonus, Primero said he was going to watch it with me and he’s been so teenager-ie lately he hasn’t watched a thing with me at night after the kids are in bed, so I was glad he might join me. But, as the butterfly flaps it’s wings setting forth a hurricane, it seemed the poppy seeds spilling emitted bad juju. Our best guess is that when the DVR message popped up asking if we wanted to record the show, Love Bug ingeniously turned it off, thus not recording the show (the Voice was also not recorded but I just can’t get into that show, it requires too much of a time commitment). I was devastated. Primero tried to work his technological magic, but no dice. We watched The Fosters instead and my only consolation was that Primero watched it with me. That and I can watch Dancing with the Stars on Netflix or Hulu or something tonight.

 

This morning I had to get blood drawn for the Nutritionist, which meant not eating breakfast (I had to be fasting) and rushing out the door trying to get one child to school, get my blood drawn and drop the second child off at daycare and I was really hoping to make it to work on time. The morning was going pretty well, it seemed like this was all possible. I had my arms and hands full carrying my purse, work bag, Love Bug’s Halloween costume, my water, the car keys and Love Bug to the car. I asked Chica Marie to carry the mini pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese icing I had made for Love Bug’s daycare party and put them in the car. As I was floundering out of the house, trying to convince Love Bug to walk to the car and put on his jacket, I heard the cupcakes fall. I lost my mind, raced to them, yelled at Chica Marie and slammed open her car door. I tried to salvage the cupcakes that I could, raced back inside to the leftovers I was going to keep for us (thank God I made a double batch!) and back to the car where I couldn’t get the van door to shut. I struggled with it for a good 5 minutes before the neighbor came out to help me close it and I’m pretty sure it is irrevocably damaged, off the track or something like that. I was sobbing as I dropped Chica Marie off at school late and raced to the lab for my blood test, arriving 20 minutes late. I had to text my boss because I wasn’t making it to work on time.

 

I arrived about 20 minutes late to work. I put in a request for the time and about an hour later my boss called me. In the snarkiest voice possible she explained, as if I were a simpleton, I didn’t need to use my annual time if I was only going to be 15 minutes late. Add this to a hectic day trying to learn new tasks because a co-worker is retiring the end of this week – and I hate these new tasks we’ve been assigned – plus, my period started this morning, so I’m crampy and grumpy. And the coup de gras? An email for a surprise baby shower at work for a co-worker who I thought was my friend but never told me she was pregnant. In fact, this is the friend who tried to get me to adopt her niece’s baby. I nearly burst into tears reading and re-reading the email to make sure I understood what it was saying. Worst. Day. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment