Monday, October 30, 2017

Hare Today, Prune Tomorrow


Sometimes parenting is all about being clever. One night last week Love Bug was enjoying his bubble bath but I was ready to get him out. Sure, I could have scooped him up and lifted him out without his consent, but do you know how much a wet, squirming, angry toddler weighs? Hoping to avoid a soaking wet wrestling match, I tried making up a goofy song to get him out of the tub. He giggled, but continued playing with his rubber duckies. I tried the usual mom requests to get him out of the tub, still trying to keep the peace by not demanding or getting angry with him. Feeling thwarted, I sighed, “Love Bug, if you don’t get out of the tub you’re going to turn into a prune.” His eyes got big and he repeated, “A poone?” Seizing on the moment I replied, in mock seriousness and concern, “Yes, a prune. Are your fingers all wrinkly?” He looked at his fingers, worry furrowing his brow, “Yes, Mommy! Look! Poones!” he cried, deeply disturbed at the state of his little fingers. “Oh no, it’s already happening! You better get out quick!” And with that, he willingly lifted his arms for me to scoop him out of the tub, abating the aforementioned water wrestling match. When I posted this exchange on Facebook a concerned friend worried the incident might make Love Bug weary of bathing, but the prune technique worked a second time with no lasting fears of bath water. I’m sticking this in the W column – a win for mom!


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too

No comments:

Post a Comment