Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I Promise You


Yesterday I had the day off due to Veteran’s Day. We had Primero’s case worker come to see us first thing in the morning and Primero spent most of the time telling her all about his brothers visit. Primero had a plan to prove to his case worker that his brother should be allowed to move in with us. He showed her his room and she agreed the room was plenty big enough for two. Primero told her about a dozen times that Hermano started calling me “Mom” because he felt so happy with us and so comfortable. She agreed it was wonderful to see Primero getting to visit with his siblings and spend time with them. And she actually asked us how often we would be seeing Hermano. So, I asked about Thanksgiving. We would love to have him spend Thanksgiving with us and the case worker concurred, stating she would ask if I could get him Wednesday night and return him Friday so that I won’t have to worry about the holiday traffic on a very congested interstate highway. I explained how I was put-off by the GAL’s last minute decision to cut the first visit short and she said it was most likely due more to everyone being unsure of how it would go, since Hermano is new to the system. But, since things went so well and we had such a lovely time, she didn’t see a reason why the visits couldn’t continue. I was happy to hear this because I feared the visit was only granted for Primero’s birthday and therefore would only be granted in the future for equally as important dates to celebrate.

 

When I relayed the good news to Hermano, he was happy but again expressed his desire to make our home his permanent residence. He told me he had never felt loved before like he does now; to have someone care about him, be interested in his life, to fight to have him – this is what I imagine he means. Last night I posted on Facebook “Be patient. Sometimes you have to go through the worst to get the best” and “I feel like you are the reward for everything I did right in life.” I tagged both the boys in these posts and Hermano posted a beautiful poem in response.

 

I Promise You

 I can't promise you that dark clouds will never hover over our lives or that the future will bring us many rainbows.
 I can't promise you that tomorrow will be perfect or that life will be easy.
 I can promise you my everlasting devotion, my loyalty, my respect, and my unconditional
 love for a lifetime.
 I can promise that I'll always be there for you, to listen and to hold your hand, and I'll always do
 my best to make you happy, and make you feel loved.
 I can promise that I'll see you through any crisis, and hope with you, dream with you, build with you, and always cheer you on and encourage you.
 I can promise that I'll share my dreams my world, and every aspect of my life with you.
 I'll willingly be your protector, your advisor, your counselor, your friend, your family, your everything.
 And I believe that's what love is truly all about.

 

It pretty much sums up exactly what I want to say.  I keep encouraging him to be sure to follow the rules and be respectful when he talks to his case worker and GAL because that will go a long way in showing he is trying to make a sound and mature decision for himself. I tell him to keep up the good work in school, to be involved in the extracurricular activities to keep himself occupied and again, to show he is turning his life around and not looking to get back into the things he had been doing. When he was with us you could hear happiness and hope in his voice. Now that he’s back in his foster home, his voice is sad again, lacking the same merriment it had before. I know I am absolutely insane. I am. As a young single woman, I have no business trying to raise three kids let alone four. But, this isn’t some picture of a kid I see on the state listing for children seeking adoptive homes, this is a live, living, breathing child desperate for attention and affection and love. He wants a home, not just a house. I guess I’m a fixer and I can hear my mom saying to me, “You can’t help everyone. You can’t take away the pain from their past.” But, how can I not try? It’s not like there are hundreds of other families clamoring to take in and love hurting teenagers. If I don’t try to give Hermano a home he will age out of the system and most likely get right back into the life everyone is trying to get him out of. He is a young man who needs someone stable in his life, to guide him into adulthood with love and patience. He is still impressionable, more so than Primero even though he is younger. It’s gotta be someone’s responsibility to see that he gets a positive role model and an opportunity to succeed. My heart gets me in a lot of trouble. My heart pushes me out of my comfort zone, it pushes me to have sympathy for hurting children and to do what little I can to help. I don’t know how to turn it off. I don’t know how to stop being me, to stop myself from caring when no one else would. How do I make my heart stop aching for a child who is so hungry, so desperate for love that even the tiniest kind gesture is huge to him? I can’t help but look at my sweet Primero and think, what if I had said no, what if I refused to let myself care about him where would he be now? Primero was meant to be my son, he was meant to steal my heart one weekend at a time until it felt like I would lose a part of myself if he were to leave. And now, because I opened my heart to a sweet, gentle, kind, amazing teenage boy, I have been given the honor of another sweet teenage boy clamoring for my love and affection. I guess I would rather be called crazy than turn my back on a child who needs a mother. I let myself get pulled into these situations because I put myself in the shoes of these children and I feel their pain and their need for comfort and for someone to genuinely want them, not as an obligation but for who they are as a human being. I want this young man to do well in life and, like Mahatma Ghandi said, I need to be the change I wish to see in the world. I can’t promise this kid he will be able to move in with me, but I can promise to stick by his side and be available to him whenever he needs me, to pray for him, to worry about him, and to help him succeed in life. I can promise my unconditional love that will not fade or break due to distance or location. I will mother him from afar until we can live under the same roof. And I pray to God it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment