Saturday, August 25, 2018

Safe Landing Spot


I can’t remember if I ever posted about this before, but I was just thinking about a conversation I had with Primero probably sometime last summer. I had been reading information from former foster youth and adult adoptees and I shared some of the information with him because one adult said they didn’t like how their adoptive parents never talked about adoption. I asked him if he felt that way and he said he doesn’t feel the need to talk about adoption all the time. We read a snippet about a former foster youth who wasn’t adopted but still returned to his foster family as a young adult for help and guidance. It prompted me to ask Primero how he thought things would have gone if he had returned to his mom. I guessed we would still talk and I would see his life through social media. “Nah,” he said, “I’d still be over here all the time because my mom wouldn’t keep it together and I like it here.” It warmed my heart because that was really the focus for me as a foster parent – to give kids a safe landing spot when they needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment