Monday, June 20, 2016

First Time Driving #Microblog Monday


Do you remember the first time you drove a car? I vividly remember driving my dad’s farm truck on the public road for the first time. It was HARD! I had been driving the truck around the farm for several months, practicing backing it up to the barn to retrieve hay for the livestock and 4-H animals. But, driving a truck on a dirt road is not the same as driving on macadam – it’s a totally different experience! The driveway on the farm is nearly a mile long, so I had plenty of space to bounce around before hitting the state road. The morning I convinced my dad to let me drive to the MOPS event in a local church where I volunteered, I was so psyched! I felt so grown, pulling that truck out onto the paved road! But, when I did, the wheel felt so loose that I struggled to keep the truck between the lines on the road. I tried to accelerate, but felt like anything above 25 mph made the wheels wobble too much, so we crept along. What should have been a 10-15 minute drive stretched into 30 minutes as I tried to calm my sweaty palms and palpitating heart. I was so thankful to reach our destination and so defeated that my first driving experience was so much harder than I thought it would be! Fortunately, as happens with most things, I got better with practice and eventually felt comfortable driving.

 

Primero got his driving permit on Saturday, after failing the test the first time. He was so stoked! I discovered I didn’t need to add him to my insurance until he gets his license, so he was able to drive right away. (Funny side story – the first time I asked to drive my parents told me they needed to add me to their insurance and that it would take time, so I think I had my permit a week or longer before they let me drive. Come to find out that the whole insurance thing was probably not true….) So, I let Primero drive. He drove us to the orchard to pick strawberries and then back home. He drove us to pick up his sister and he even drove at night! Last night, after a few more miles on the road, Primero admitted that driving wasn’t as fun as he thought it was going to be. I smiled to myself, remembering feeling that same way many moons ago.    

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. As the mother of a mid-teen, your post strikes terror in my heart ;-)

    Thanks for the tip about insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being terrified! And I was just in a big, empty parking lot, not going over 5 miles per hour. But it felt so much faster.

    Not as much fun as you think it will be, but awesome that he got his permit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too funny that it wasn't as fun as he thought it would be. I felt that way, too. Your truck driving story is terrifying! I remember my parents being frustrated trying to teach me to drive and so I had a learner's permit until two weeks before my 22nd birthday. I got into the bars in college with my LEARNER'S PERMIT, because in NY it was a photo id. :) Good luck to Primero, sounds like he's doing well with the driving thing!

    ReplyDelete