Thursday, June 23, 2016

Orlando


Too often things don’t become real until they are happening to you or someone you love. I’m not a person who has ever been involved in any Gay Pride events or any similar events. I would also not be the person protesting such events. In general, I’ve just avoided the topic. I’ve posted before about my mixed feelings on the matter. After hearing about the horrendous shooting in Orlando I’m feeling uneasy about my position on the sidelines. I haven’t really sought out information on the shooting, just knowing about it saddens me enough. But, what I do know is that many of the victims were young and Hispanic. Just like my son. And while he might not be old enough to get into any clubs right now, that day is not too far on the horizon. Pulse certainly could be the type of place my son might frequent once he is of age. And that scares me to death. He is a beautiful, caring, enigmatic young man with so much life to live. To think his light could be snuffed out by someone hell-bent on hatred and destruction is sickening. I don’t want my son to become a victim. I don’t want to have to shake with fear that he might simply be on a night out excursion, the very same type of thing I did as a young adult, and meet his end at the hands of madman who hates him for no reason at all. My son is bi-sexual but that isn’t all he is, that isn’t who he is. And it certainly isn’t something that should claim his life. I don’t understand this hatred, I don’t understand the desire to harm and kill other human beings, no matter their sexual preferences. I don’t want to see the news, I don’t want to wake up and hear about another mass shooting because some crazy person thinks they have a right to kill another human being. I don’t want my son walking around this world with a target on his back because he likes boys and girls and he is self-described as flamboyant. This cannot keep happening! Beautiful young lives should not be extinguished because someone is too dogmatic to see they are human too. I love me son. I want him to have a good, long life. I fear, in this world, that might not be possible and that is about the most demoralizing thing I’ve ever thought. Things need to change! Disagreeing with someone, no matter the issue, should never equate a death sentence.     

No comments:

Post a Comment