Thursday, June 9, 2016

I Need a Respite Fairy!


Have I mentioned the respite shortage going on with CHOR lately? Oh, I have? Well, next weekend my sister is having a bachelorette get away near where she lives in Virginia. Many moons ago I asked for respite for this event, since I was admonished for not asking soon enough for her bridal shower. Not like it would have mattered because CHOR has the foster homes so stuffed full of kids it’s next to impossible to find respite. Not to mention the fact that summer is starting and that means summer vacations. Great! Anyway, my case worker called me just after lunch to inform me she found a respite home for the bachelorette weekend, with the caveat that should the home receive a placement it’s a no-go. Er, ok? I needed to solidify my reservations with the crew weeks ago, so little good this news does me now! The case worker was so self-congratulatory it was sickening. Oh, gee she really did me a solid by finding respite when I can’t go because A) the respite is conditional and my reservations are not and B) I didn’t make reservations because I didn’t know I had respite. I could try to see if I can squeeze in, if the plans have some wiggle room, but then I’m going no if and or buts! I don’t want to jostle plans only to turn around and say, never mind the respite home got a placement and I can’t go. What sort of sense does that make? Who lives their life like this, I ask you? Is there any wonder it’s hard to find good foster homes? My other option, and what is seeming more likely at this point, is to just have a me and Primero weekend. He’s been asking for one and given all the little things that have been floating around, I think it might be a good idea. So, the respite wouldn’t go to waste, assuming it actually pans out. Nothing like making things easy, right?!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's appalling. (I took in a placement while doing respite -- overlapping a day or so -- because I couldn't see backing out on someone who was counting on the respite, but also didn't want to turn down the placement.) Yuck, yuck, yuck.

    (I vote for lining up the maybe respite, for sure. Whether it's for some special Primo time or to go on the trip is a tougher question.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan on using the respite, one way or another. The reason a foster home couldn't take in my kids is because they would be "full." So, for example, I cannot take any respite kids because my house is only licensed for 3 kids (due to size constraints) and I have 3 kids living with me now. Even though I could put a teenage boy in the same room with Primero, I would be over my limit (even though Primero is no longer a foster kid). So the home the little ones are potentially going to has two openings. If they get a call this coming week for a placement, that eliminates the space they would have for respite. It's like a very complicated game of tetris.

      Delete
    2. Tetris is a good comparison. I just wish that agencies and DFCS would consider a respite placement a commitment and not expect the full-time foster family to be prepared to be "bumped" so to speak.

      Delete