Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dear Baby

Dear Baby,

     Allow me to introduce myself. I am your mommy. I am married to your daddy, Flaco, and we live in a small house in Reading. I met your daddy when I was in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua and we fell in love. We got married on May 10, 2008 on your great grandparent's farm, which is also where I grew up. I have a younger brother and sister, your aunt and uncle. Daddy has four younger siblings and they live in Nicaragua with your abuela and abuelo.
     Daddy and I are so excited to meet you, we have been waiting for you for over two years now. It has been hard thinking about meeting you each month, only to be told we have to wait yet another month. We love you so much already and we haven’t even seen your beautiful smile or counted all ten of your perfect fingers and toes. You are so special to us and we have been struggling so long just to hold you in our arms; we know someday soon you will be our very own wonderful miracle.
     You are a unique baby! Daddy has Hispanic heritage and grew up thousands of miles away from where Mommy grew up. Mommy’s heritage is mostly German, but surely there is a healthy mixture of other Western European blood in the family line. Mommy’s family identifies with the Pennsylvania Dutch culture here in PA. Daddy is also a mixture of different ethnicity's; his family descends from the Nicaro Indians of Central America and the Spanish conquistadors who invaded the land in search of gold. See how truly special you are!
     Mommy and Daddy are both the eldest children in the family. Mommy has one brother who is 1 ½ years younger and one sister who is 5 years younger. Daddy has 2 younger brothers and 2 younger sisters.  Your youngest uncle will be only 8 years older than you! Mommy’s parents still live in the same house where Mommy grew up and they too have been waiting so long to get to know you. Your grandmother has been thinking about what she would like you to call her and I think she has settled on Grammie. Your grandfather isn’t picky about what you call him, but I think Pop might be fun because that is what he called his grandfather. Your abuelos in Nicaragua have not mentioned a preference, but you will learn Spanish so you can communicate with them when we go for visits. Daddy will teach you Spanish, Mommy will teach you English. You will be such a smart baby, growing up with two native languages!
     I have so many dreams for you, my sweet baby! There is so much for me to teach and show you once you are here! Daddy will show you how to ride a bike and when you get good, he will show you how to ride with a second person, like they do in Nicaragua. Mommy will show you how to play hopscotch and jump rope. Daddy will teach you to climb trees and skip rocks. Mommy will teach you how to sew a button onto your shirt and how to make your bed. You will learn to ride a horse and play the piano (although if you hate both that’s ok). You and Daddy will play pitch and catch and watch baseball games together. Grammie will teach you how to cook and bake and if you are lucky my Nana (your great grandmother) will teach you how to make homemade chicken pot pie PA Dutch style. We will go to the farm to go sledding and pick raspberries. When we are visiting your abuelos and tios in Nicaragua, we will go swimming in the river and climb la loma to see the whole community. We’ll eat your abuelas handmade tortillas fresh off the fire with fresh cuajada.
     While we wait for you precious little one, we will continue to pray for your health and that you might arrive here soon! We love you and we wait with open arms to embrace you. Cuidate precioso!

Love,
Your Mommy

4 comments:

  1. Amazing post! I have tears in my eyes and joy in my heart. Your baby is going to be so lucky to have you as a Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I love how positive it is, without much about your struggle. Love that. I also have a series of letters I have written over the course of dreaming of a baby. Sometimes it is hard for me to keep them positive, so I admire not only the beautiful words, but the wonderful gift it is for your future baby.

    Also, for what it's worth, you were on my list for those blog awards that float around, specifically The Versatile Blogger & I Love This Blog. Your words have definitely helped me through my journey already. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful letter... and share your hope :) Love your blog and new to blogging myself. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you all xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both! This post just poured out of me the other night and I hope that someday I will be able to show it to our first child. I just wanted this baby to know how much we were willing to endure just to "have" him/her.

    Thank you also for the blog awards. I must confess that I am so new that I do not know what to do with such accolades, other than to express my gratitude in getting them. Thank you for reading my blogs and for your continued encouagement. But, most of all, thanks for just "getting it!" :)

    ReplyDelete