Thursday, July 25, 2019

In The News


Last Sunday my family was on the front of the local newspaper. I had been asked by CHOR if I would speak to a reporter. She as focusing her article on how the opioid crisis feeds the foster care system. I was nervous about the article. I talk too much. I wasn’t sure about allowing them to take pictures of the kids, but Primero was ok with it, so we decided to take photos at the playground near our house. Sunday morning my dad was the first one to tell me he saw the article. Then the Facebook comments came rolling in, but it wasn’t until Monday morning when someone sent me the link, that I actually got to see the article. It was longer than I thought it was going to be and included information from interviews with staff at CHOR and other local foster agencies. The pictures were terrific and I want to order some copies since the screenshots I took were blurry. I have two copies of the article to save. My job even featured the article on our Facebook page. It was a lot of publicity during a difficult time. The article came out after a rough week with two IEP meetings and nearly sending my Love Bug to an acute partial hospitalization program. Mostly, it made me feel uncomfortable being portrayed (not so much in the article as much as by my friends and co-workers) as some unsung hero. I feel like a failure almost every single day. I am no one’s hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment