Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Treading Water


I feel like our current IEP tells us we are in deep water. It tells us a life raft would potentially help us. It describes what a life raft looks like. And then it paddles off and leaves us treading water wondering how we are supposed to find a life raft with the waves crashing over us. In other words, it helps us to see a problem but does not give any concrete solutions. The only program offered was almost not offered. And the edict to find a more structured daycare was issued without any resource to actually find such a mythical place. In short, our IEP is not helping us. It is not helping Love Bug improve his social skills or develop better communication. And it does nothing to help eliminate the undesirable behaviors. Love Bug can succeed! We just need help to get on that path!

 

Our daycare has been working with us. Last Wednesday they moved Love Bug upstairs to the school-aged classroom with the stipulation he be kept away from his sister. I knew she felt like he was infringing on her turf, but I did explain to her this solution could keep them in the daycare in hopes of garnering her cooperation. Thus far, Love Bug has decreased his tantrums from about one an hour to one a day. He is allowed to stay as long as he continues this level of cooperation. Oh, and I have to make sure he has money for popcorn when they go to the movies. I have been unsuccessful in finding a more suitable daycare that would also transport from our elementary school. I am holding my breath, hoping this positive change is permanent for Love Bug.

 

Meanwhile, our post-permanency services have kicked in. We have our first meeting with the case worker next Monday. I am meeting with the Early Intervention Administrative Director and a teacher from Love Bug’s weekly group to see what other services they might be able to offer him. I’m not terribly optimistic since I was told they don’t really do much over the summer. We are also changing wrap around service providers to one that focuses more on the autistic side of the behaviors. The slight hiccup is that our current provider does not have him diagnosed as ASD, but his IEP from the Early Intervention does, so we can use that. It just means more paperwork. And, I signed the forms to start receiving help from the local management service provider, so soon we will have a case manager with a more comprehensive list of services in our community. I’m hoping the things that I have done so far will help us to reach the path where Love Bug can begin improving behaviors and be the content little boy I know he can be.

 

Since we weren’t given a life raft, I’ve cobbled one together with my tenacious consistent pushing to find what we need, lashed together by my determination and belief that my little boy can do more than other’s feel he is capable of doing. I will find us the tools to succeed because I won't stop until I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment