Monday, July 1, 2019

Politely Kicked Out


Before the bottom fell out of our world, we were simply a family learning how to help a little boy struggling with sensory issues related to autism. The Friday before last we decided to go see the new Toy Story movie. The kids were excited. Love Bug did not have a good day at daycare, but we were still trying to make something positive out of it. We decided to go to a Chinese restaurant that everyone at my job raves about. We had never been there. It was very busy when we put in our order and Love Bug was already in melt-down mode because he was hangry and tired. We foolishly decided to dine in, rather than take out. As we sat waiting, Love Bug continued his spiral into misery, ending up on the floor under the table. At one point I saw a tray of food, but it was soon whisked back into the kitchen. A few moments later the young girl who took our order called out to us, with a take-out bag. “Oh did you want to eat in?” She asked. Having exhausted myself trying to keep Love Bug from going nuclear, I acquiesced and we quickly retreated to the car. It was there that Primero announced we were politely kicked out. He said she knew we asked to dine in but she packed our meals anyway because Love Bug was not sitting quietly. I because enraged. Yes, Love Bug was being a real pill, but I was trying to keep him calm, I wasn’t ignoring him and letting him run wild. Love Bug might have been annoying, but there wasn’t really anyone else eating there, just waiting for their food. I wanted to go back in and give them a piece of my mind, but Primero suggested we just go home and eat so we wouldn’t miss our movie. Primero chided me for my simplistic belief that the woman serving us made a mistake and packed our food by accident. “It’s so sweet that you don’t think negatively like that,” he said. But, I would rather live in a world where we give everyone the benefit of doubt, room to make mistakes, and patience when our manners slip a little bit, especially when it comes to children. I know I was more judgmental before I had kids, but if saw the parent trying to control their kid, I wouldn’t be as pissy as if I saw them ignoring their screaming progeny. Now, I just give them a nod of solidarity because it’s hard enough without the judging stares of disapproval. I wish so hard there was better understanding for families of special needs children. Until then, screw you Chinese restaurant. Your food wasn’t that great anyway….



Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. i'm upset reading this. how rude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear he has to leave his daycare! That's really disappointing. Maybe the waitress thought she was being helpful by packing up your food. Otherwise that wasn't very nice!

    ReplyDelete