Monday, May 7, 2018

It's a Small World Afterall


We have lived nearly four years in the same town as the little one’s mother and have never accidentally bumped into her. Until this past weekend, that is. I took the kids to the local Cinco de Mayo festival and we weren’t there long when we encountered a familiar face. Their mom confessed she was nervous about approaching us, which I can understand. The kids haven’t seen her since the summer of 2016. I had tried to connect with her a few times, but she changes her phone number so often, it’s hard to keep up. I snapped a few pictures of her with the kids, mostly for Chica Marie because she craves information about her mom. But, when I asked her how I could get them to her, she suggested I ask her mom. At one point, I thought she had flaked out on us, since she insisted on going to buy the kids a snack (Love Bug was hangry at the time and since he saw someone with an ice cream cone, he was demanding one), but we waited for what seemed to be a much longer time than it should take. We tried walking to the CVS to find her, only to see the CVS was closed. I really started worrying, thinking she left and now I needed to explain to the kids. But, just after I bought them shaved ice, she popped back up with a bag of goodies. She explained she had to walk 2 blocks to find a bodega to buy some goodies. Love Bug was mostly unfazed by seeing her, he doesn’t really have a memory of his mom. Chica Marie was soaking up the attention, having her mom hold her and dance with her. I thought Chica Marie might have a reaction after the whole exchange, but she didn’t seem phased by it all. One thing she seemed stuck on was when she kept calling her mom “Mommy V” instead of just saying mommy. I told her she could call her mom mommy and she thought that was strange. I explained to her it was fine to call us both mommy because we were both her mom’s and she seemed satisfied with that explanation. Love Bug, living in his own little world, was mostly just excited to have snacks.

 

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. I can understand Chica Marie wanting to call her first mom "Mommy V." Because you're Mommy, maybe she feels she needs to differentiate between you both? (That is why I won't call my in-laws Mum or Dad!)

    It sounds like a nice encounter. And that Chica Marie is feeling very stable with you - perhaps since the adoption was finalised?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I too attribute the finalization as key to a non-reactionary visit.

      I was trying to validate her mom because she was calling her "Mommy V" to her face and I said, "You can just call her Mommy." When we talked about it later, Chica Marie said, "But you're my real mom now." So, I let it go. I mean, at 7 who can really understand the complexities of adoption? I'm a grown up and it makes my head spin sometimes....

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to have an encounter that brought out healthy, age appropriate reactions in the kids. That’s great!

    ReplyDelete