Monday, July 3, 2017

Milestones

This past weekend was a big weekend for us. Primero finally (!!!) got his driver's license on his fourth attempt. It was grueling, honestly, but now there are new worries with a new driver. I mean, I wanted him to get his license, but now I have to sit at home and worry about him, which I've done before, only this time he is independently mobile. Yikes bikes! My parents did this three times. I will be doing this three times, only with the little ones it will be different. With the little ones I will have our years of experience to help me know they will be ok. With Primero, I don't have the luxury of 17 years of parenting to rely on. I have to trust that what ideas and morals I've tried to instill in him these last three years will be enough. I'm fearful it isn't. And, coupled with that is my fear of him leaving the nest, already (he's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future, but eventually...). Sigh.

In addition to this big milestone, I've started trying to potty train Love Bug in earnest now that he's three. Saturday morning I took off his nighttime diaper and put big boy undies on him for the first time ever. I set the timer on my phone and diligently put him on his big boy potty every 15 minutes. Two days and 10 wardrobe changes later and he still has yet to pee on his potty. Not once, not even close. And my desire to continue cleaning up after the pee puddles and the wet clothes is nil. I don't want to use treats or bribery but good God I can't keep doing this! I don't think Love Bug is ready for this, in fact he seems totally opposed. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle and after tomorrow he will be back in daycare and I don't think they will be consistent with him to help this process. Sigh.

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the license!! My oldest is still doing some practice driving. She was eligible to take the test in February but wasn't quite ready. We have been working on the potty training with the 3 year old for a while now...I wish you all the luck and hope you have an easy time. We still aren't there with the pooping yet😕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, potty training and driver's licence at the same time. That's a lot of independence stuff going on in your house. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Primero! That is a huge deal. I am so nervous about the driving thing and we're still a few years away, so I will be eagerly reading your posts about life with a license, hoping it quells my fears :-)

    ReplyDelete