Thursday, July 27, 2017

We Are So Fertile!


“We are so fertile.” Giggle, giggle.

“I didn’t even track it. We said we would just figure it out.”

“I said ‘we’re Dominican, this won’t be a problem for us.’.”

“I just felt off and knew right away I was pregnant. I got so angry at the nurse because she wouldn’t test me, she said it was too early. But, now look, I have my baby.”

“I know, we are so fertile too. We got married last October and here we are!” rubbing her pregnant belly.

 

Snippets of a conversation I overheard from the cubicle behind me. I wanted to crawl in a hole and die or at least hide my face in shame. I wanted to scream at them for their hubris, remind them how they got lucky in the roulette of genetics. I wanted to run from the room or wish my ears to stop hearing. I wanted to do a lot of things not deemed appropriate for a workplace. Mostly, I wanted to disappear, to un-hear what I heard, to not feel that old familiar sting of tears behind my eyes, to stop holding my breath until the pain and the conversation subsided. F*ck you and your stupid fertile selves!

No comments:

Post a Comment