Monday, July 10, 2017

No Fireworks


The community just next to ours hosts a community days fair every year around the 4th of July. It always ends with a wonderful fireworks display. Because it was a Saturday night I thought I would take the kids, since most fireworks are so late at night. Primero took the van to a friend’s house because it was her birthday. He had been invited to sleep-over but her mom said no boys. Our plan was for him to come home and go to the fireworks with us. I had the kids in their pajamas, so I figured we would just sit on the van tailgate and watch the fireworks. Primero came home with his friend because her mom changed her mind and said he could stay over. I was a little bummed, but drove them back to her house (she lives close by and on the way to the fireworks) and we drove around in the traffic trying to find a spot to park. We found a not-so-great spot and I opened up the back of the van and unstrapped the kids from their car seats. I sat down and Love Bug, who has been doing so great about telling me he needs to go potty, began crying saying he was scared. He plopped on my right knee and after he sat down I felt a warmth spreading over my leg. It took me a moment to realize Love Bug was peeing on me. I stood him up, but it was too late. I was soaked from my hip to my knee. I changed him into clean shorts that we had in the car and stuffed him back into his car seat. Chica Marie was crying because we weren’t going to see the fireworks but there was simply no way I could sit in Love Bug’s pee for the next 30 minutes or so. I drove him, tucked the kids into bed and after I peeled my soaked capris off my body I took a hot shower. I could hear the occasional boom of the fireworks, so I turned on Netflix to distract me. Primero text me he wasn’t having any fun at his friend’s sleep-over. He ended up walking home at 6:30 the next morning. Maybe next year the kids can see fireworks.  

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I'm sorry that you all missed the fireworks - and about the peed-on capris. The good thing is that you are probably the only one who will remember.

    ReplyDelete