Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Sibling Picnic


Saturday was a big day for us, especially the little ones. We attended the first ever sibling picnic with the older brothers and sisters, some of who have never met their youngest brother. Not only were the siblings there, but also their families and Grandma and her two other daughters. I was nervous about the picnic. Well, really I was nervous about the reactions we might see from Chica Marie during and after the picnic. But, it was important that we be there. It is important that they have the connection to their older siblings, so they can form and develop relationships with one another, even with the hurdles of living in different towns, with different families and having such age gaps between them.

 

So, we packed up the van with the food I offered to bring and we drove the 40 minutes to the park Grandma chose. The picnic started at noon, but we were running a little late. Still, we were the first ones there arriving around 12:30. The park was nice and there wasn’t anyone else there. Right as we were parking the kids aunt showed up and they started playing with their younger cousin who is just a few months older than Love Bug. Slowly, the other family members began arriving. Grandma, her wife, and Mini Momma followed by the other aunt and her daughter, since her son was already there with the other aunt playing with her step-son. Their older brother came with the twin sisters and their family, which included multiple adult siblings and their children and significant others. There was food, there was music and there was lots of chatting, catching up and getting to know one another.

 

Chica Marie and Love Bug did great at the picnic. They played well with their cousins and older siblings and didn’t even fight much, which these days is a miracle. There was some awkwardness when I was talking to the twin’s adoptive mother simply because she was so negative regarding their mother. I sensed a lot of pent-up anger regarding the choices their mother had made and when I tried expressing sympathy towards her, the twin’s adoptive mom quickly shut me down, declaring their biological mother unworthy of any level of compassion. I was glad the little ones were running around and not within earshot of hearing what was said. It’s not that I agree with their bio mom’s decisions because I don’t. I just think her life must have been hard for her to be in such a mess and while she is responsible for her decisions as an adult, she is still a human being and she certainly hasn’t had it easy. I sort of stopped talking to the other adoptive mom after our brief conversation. I did give her my number and suggested she share it with the older sisters so they can stay in touch with their younger siblings. One of the older sisters suggested she would like to come and pick up her younger siblings and spend alone time with them, when she is older. I welcomed the idea, hoping she would make good on this idea because for so long I’ve felt the younger ones were left without a connection. Primero has always had his siblings around and I had always encouraged and gone out of my way to forge relationships with his siblings. Because I was in the system and I had ready access to the case workers, I took it upon myself to engage Hermano, to keep him connected to family, especially during the holidays. I always grieved the lack of connection the little ones had to their older siblings and tenaciously followed Mini Momma through her plethora of moves in hopes of arranging visits and keeping them in touch. Brothers and sisters are important. I would have been lost in my childhood without my two siblings. I could not imagine being split up and not growing up together. Grandma had hopes that all of the siblings would be in attendance, but sadly two were not permitted to attend. Perhaps they will be allowed to attend a different gathering.  

 
A rumor was spread at the picnic, started by one of the older brothers. Apparently he has been in contact with his mom recently and he reported she is expecting again. Yeah, ok we’ve heard that one before. With much chagrin, I passed along the gossip to CYS and CHOR, but even Grandma expressed doubt at this claim, although she did say anything is possible. I really hope this isn’t true. Standing in the middle of the pavilion, seeing the lives intertwined because of the choices of one woman, gave me pause to consider the connections webbing out from this one source. Nine lives were created and dispersed, the connection kept solely by one diligent grandmother. How easy it would have been for the nine children to lose one another as they landed in different homes, surrounded by different family members. Where would one more go? Thus far the siblings are paired up, all except Mini Momma. Would this one be alone? Would this one stay with his/her mother or father? Would that mean he/she would be cut off from the rest? I sincerely hope the rumor is unfounded and fizzles out as the last one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment