Thursday, February 1, 2018

Childless By Choice


As a single parent, the county has asked me to name someone who would take care of the children should anything happen to me. This makes logical sense, and really any parent should have a contingency plan in place, but I found it to be quite an emotional thing to contemplate. Originally, I thought of my parents. They raised three kids, so they have experience, but since my mom got sick, both my parents have developed a sort of negative elderly mindset. I haven’t broached the subject with them, but I sense that they would not feel up to the task. I panicked a little, thinking who would I choose, until I naturally thought of my sister. The only hang up is that she does not want children. And I don’t want her to feel like I’m foisting my choice to parent upon her, but I’m really planning on sticking around for a while, so it’s all hypothetical, right? Only, it’s a really big deal. Such a big deal that I started crying while typing the text message to my sister. I wanted to wait to speak to her in person when I go to visit her later this month, but it can’t wait that long. So, I text her and got emotional. It hurt my heart thinking I might not be there for my children, thinking of the loss they would endure. Again. It is important to me that my children would be raised doing the things I think are important, like making sure they keep in touch with their families and helping them to understand race and racism, and to be cognizant of their trauma histories. And, I would want to make sure the three of them stay in touch with one another, since in my hypothetical future Primero would be older and possibly moved out of the house. I would trust my sister to do her very best in all of these areas, I just don’t know if she wants the job, even if it might never happen. I promised her, in my emotional text, I would respect her decision and not be upset if she said no, although I might ask her opinion on a runner-up.  

 

In thinking about the county requirements, I’ve also started thinking I should probably have a living will and make sure Primero is noted as beneficiary of things like my pension and life insurance. I have spoken to him, as the oldest in our home, that while I put him in charge I expect him to divide whatever assets I leave with the little ones. But, knowing how people act when someone dies, I really should put things in writing. I hate this kind of stuff because I don’t like thinking about not being around, but it would be neglectful of me to not have things in order should the worst possible scenario happen. And, I would hate for the state to keep my pension and life insurance just because I didn’t name a beneficiary.  The children should get my money, just like they get it now, right? Just trying to inject a little levity into the situation, but this has now moved up on my to-do list and is priority status.

1 comment:

  1. What tough things to have to think about. I'm not sure of the US requirements, but you could leave some to Primero, and form a trust for the little ones benefit, so that there's not too much responsibility on Primero's shoulders? A lawyer or the guardian of the little ones could be responsible for administering it. My understanding too is that the majority should go to dependents for their care. (Based on a conversation last week with my sister, who has a 9 year old, and her husband also has an adult daughter, who is no longer dependent. Their lawyer said the rule of thumb was 80% to the benefit of dependents.)

    I consider these things to be a bit like Murphy's Law. That if you don't have Wills and procedures in place, you might need them. As soon as you make the arrangements, then you are unlikely to need them (but if you do, everything is sorted).

    ReplyDelete