Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Just Lose Weight


I met with the endocrinologist last Friday. She talked to me about my nodule, explaining the entire right side of my thyroid is a nodule and there is also a small nodule on the left side of my thyroid. Because of the size of the nodule on the right side, she wants me to get a biopsy. She thinks it looks ok, but wants to be sure through pathology. I’m more worried about getting the biopsy than I am worried about a malignant thyroid tumor. Still, I would like to get an answer, so I will be getting the biopsy done as soon as they can get me scheduled with the radiology department. I feel mostly conflicted by the endocrinologist. She was not in favor of the medication the nutritionist prescribed for my thyroid, cautioning it could push me into hyperthyroidism, which could lead to its own set of potential issues. She was in favor of the weight-loss surgery, assuring me that losing weight would “cure” my PCOS. It was at that point that she lost a lot of credibility in my book. PCOS has no cure. And losing weight might *help* my symptoms but it also might not make that much of a difference. She seemed unsympathetic to my plight with miserable periods and near constant bleeding. Without looking at my labs (other than the ones done by the weight loss clinic, which were more concerned about blood sugar level and cholesterol), she didn’t think my progesterone could be as bad as I explained it to be. Um, yes it is possible for someone my age to have such a low level of progesterone they are nearly perimenopausal. I suppose if I lose weight my body will magically start producing the right amount of progesterone too, right? I mean, no thin people have hormone issues, do they? Do I need to lose weight? Yes, yes I do. But, should I be made to feel that all my health issues are directly related to a higher BMI? No, I don’t think so. And, I feel like demanding someone with PCOS just lose weight is being ignorant of the disease itself. I’m literally fighting my own body to lose weight because the mess that is my endocrine system and hormones that it actually causes me to hang onto excess weight. So, rather than trying to fix my hormones why not have surgery to swirl around my intestines and digestive tract permanently? I did ask her how it was possible that my thyroid levels could be mostly normal (within the normal range, which doesn’t mean normal really) when the entire right side of my thyroid is a nodule. She explained either the nodule is producing hormones (that sounds great) or the left half of my thyroid is an over-achiever. But, that’s cool I’m sure losing weight would fix that too, right?

2 comments:

  1. This might sound like a humble brag, but I genuinely don't mean it that way: it's ironic to me that my doctors blew off the possibility of my having pcos bc I wasn't overweight, while yours are blowing of the possibility that your pcos should be treated separately from your weight. Can't win, can we? I finally went to a naturopath - they were the only doctors who didn't ignore my hormonal issues, and I did get *some* relief through the supplements and treatments they recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also seeing a naturopath/nutritionist who is more concerned that so many of my levels are borderline than that they are technically within the normal levels. I hate that they blame everything on my weight - I'm not morbidly obese! The endocrinologist doesn't think my very low progesterone is a big deal, but I beg to differ. I'm having the biopsy done on Monday and once I get the results I'm going back to the nutritionist, not the endocrinologist.

      Delete